Castle of fénelon


Open from 01 April to 31 October

Dominating the Dordogne and Bouriane valleys, the castle displays its powerful architecture behind three fortified enclosures. It has kept its entire defensive system intact as well as its imposing slate roof. The oldest vestiges remaining today date back to the 13th century, but a first castle already existed in the year 1000.

After being a Cathar hideout in the 12th and 13th centuries, the old fortress played a strategic role during the Hundred Years’ War and was besieged on numerous occasions. A Gothic residence in the 15th century, the castle was fortified again during the Wars of Religion in the 16th century.

The last significant modifications took place in the 17th century: the castle was then decorated with a vaulted gallery supporting an elegant terrace which offers one of the most beautiful views of the Dordogne valley.
The castle was the birthplace of Fénelon (François de Salignac de La Mothe Fénelon 1651 -1715) archbishop Duke of Cambrai, prince of the Holy Empire, academician and tutor of the grandchildren of Louis XIV, the Dukes of Burgundy, Berry and Anjou.




teenagers (12 to 17 years old)


children (6 to 11 years old)


students (under 26 years old)


contact details

982 Route de Fénelon

05 53 29 81 45

opening hours

April, May, June, September10:30am – 12:30pm
2:30pm – 6:30pm
July & August10:30am – 6:30pm
(closed on saturday)
October2:00pm – 5:00pm
(closed on tuesdays and saturdays)